Friday, October 10, 2014

Taken out of context . . .

Sometimes good lines fit so well into their poems that their individual merits go unrecognized.  And then, taken out of context, they can lead lives of their own.  Here is a start for a collection of such lines.

From Poets.org here are two lines from "Ceriserie" by Joshua Clover:   

       Mathematics: Everyone rolling dice and flinging Fibonacci, going to the opera, counting everything.

       Fire: The number between four and five.

Found through Poetry.about.com at a link that I can no longer verify, words said to be from Lana Turner: 

       I wear a cross around my neck because I love right angles.

Found in the October 13,2014 issue of The New Yorker, in Heather Green's poem, "I Was Reading Up On My Hellenic Math":

       I've never yet let go of zero . . .

There will be more.

No comments:

Post a Comment